Me: What? I’ve been blogging about it for years. Haven’t you looked at the blog?
He: So what do you want to do? (notice he avoids answering the question)
Me: It’s on the blog. It’s in my head. You know, like stencils on the walls, old-looking walls, older style furniture, a global mix, you know …
He: Um, it’s kind of hard to see …
Me: I know but it’s all in my head. Trust me. Remember when we re-did the master bath? It’s beautiful! That was all in my head too. I even had all the measurements perfect! Then it all kind of tumbles out.
He: Well, can you tumble this all out on paper for me?
Thousands of people have landed on this blog looking for unique headboard ideas. But I’m not gonna blog about that again until I have my own unique DIY headboards to share! Meanwhile check out this Pinterest Board of Unique & DIY Headboards for nearly 200 images (and counting!) of unique headboards.
See headboards made of wood, shutters, frames, doors, leather, hanging textiles, fireplace mantels, iron grates, found antiques … even baseball bats, oars and angel wings. It’s all pinned here:
Hope you get some great ideas here. If you find something you like, be sure to click through to the web sites of people who made these unique headboards to see how they did it.
9. Of the people who do see it, I really don’t care what they think about it not being made. Honestly. I believe they are close enough to me to judge my worth in this world based on other things.
8. No magazine will photograph my master bedroom on a surprise unscheduled visit any time soon.
7. And if this did happen to happen, I prefer photographs of unmade beds. They’re far more interesting. Don’t believe it? Check out my Pinterest Bedrooms Board. See if you look at the photos of sheets and blankets with perfect hospital corners as long as you look at the photos of crumpled bedding.
6. Actually, the argument that “the bed will get messy again soon” doesn’t hold water. So will dinner plates get messy again soon. I wash plates despite that fact. The litterbox will get messy again soon (often as soon as I turn my back on it). Nevertheless, I still clean the litterbox. Weeds will make the gardens messy again right after I pull the weeds. I still pull the weeds. So the reason to not make the bed must be something else …
5. If the purpose is to build discipline and routine, there are many other ways to practice that. I clean the litterbox regularly. I hang towels the same way every day and they must be straight. I have a pretty darn solid coffee-drinking routine. Same thing with blueberry scones — pretty regular eating schedule there too. I wear some kind of footwear every day I go somewhere public, without fail. I always use a key to start my car engine. I always leave my house through a door. See? No problem with routines and discipline here. :)
3. Making the bed turns into cat playtime, with sharp claws grasping the sheets to stop sheets from moving. Great fun for felines, but it increases the chance that sheets and down comforters will tear and need repair or replacement. Better to not make the bed and have the cats play with fake mice instead.
2. While making the bed, I often bump my shins or knees on the bedframe and get bruises. It hurts. Who willingly puts themselves repeatedly — daily — in situations where physical pain happens? Best to avoid that.
1. It wastes time. Even just 3 minutes to make the bed = 18.25 hours per year = 1,450 hours over an 80-year lifespan = 60.83 days of your life spent making the bed! Why?!? There are far better things to do with two months of life!
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.